My Life as a Bum

Since Wednesday I had been staying up late, going online at crazy hours of the morning, staying in bed until the sun is up and have given up heels and suits to denims and sneakers. Since Wednesday I had been enjoying life as a non-working New York denizen. I LOVE IT!!!

Non-essential staff had been advised to file for vacation during the span of high level plenary meetings at Headquarters to prevent further straining security details. So we classified ourselves as non-essential and planned ahead for an extended weekend with my family in New York - my friends.

It had been a wonderful lazy long weekend. No running after the clock to make it to the office by 8:30AM, no meetings to attend, no correspondences that need to be read and acted on.

The Italian and I rendezvoused online at 2AM EST every night and I don’t slide between the covers until it is 4AM. I played tennis with Wally at NYSC facilities at Boerum Place in Brooklyn in the mornings with my hair in a ponytail and with hardly any makeup on and it was liberating. In the afternoon we went malling at Atlantic Avenue where there were neither lines at the cash registers nor crowds at the fitting rooms. On Thursday we took the subway to Queens after our game where she treated me to buffet-style Filipino food at Woodside then we headed to her apartment where we romped with her playful dog, Tobby. On Friday after having eat-all-you-can sushi lunch (yummmy!)with my aunt at Minado in midtown, I met up with Renee to shoe shop at DSW (I got two pairs of high heel strappy sandals which is a crazy decision since it will be autumn soon) and then visited the apartment she and her fiance were renovating at Stuy-Town. On Saturday morning I met up with friends to run the Reservoir and then binged on omelettes and waffles at Yura at the Upper East Side for brunch. I spent Sunday away from Manhattan after brunch with Lucia and enjoyed the final weekend of the summer before autumn officially marks its start on 22 September.

There wouldn't have been a better way to spend the last glorious days of summer. La dolce vita…

Popular Posts