Christmas Message No. 8

Every year since 1997 I would compose my Christmas message and email it en masse to all my friends. The first time it was sent out to just a handful since not that many of my friends were connected to the internet. Last year I had been delinquent owing more to the hectic pace by which my December (2004) had been set-up. And so this year I pick up where I had left off and resume with my Christmas Message for 2005.

Christmas had always had special meaning to me. I have never outgrown the excitement for the season. Somehow, it seems that all the things we do throughout the year always culminates to this special day marked by memories that we will build up to remember for years to come, perhaps to share with our children or future children.

Christmas to me will always be about my family, sharing Noche Buena at my parent's house with my Pingping, my mom, my siblings, my daughter and now, my niece and nephew. It will always be about the Chinese ham, the turkey, the queso de bola (edam cheese) and the unabashed shower of affection at the stroke of midnight with the hugging, the kissing and the 'i love you's. It is tradition that everyone be at the dining table by 12 midnight of the 24th, so much that Francis, Gigi and I had struggled through many years stressfully hurdling the traffic of Manila (because of the Manila Film Festival parade) and of Kawit, Cavite (for the Maytinis procession) to make it in time. And if couldn't make it (Francis during his residency years; Gigi when she spent Christmas 2004 in Seattle and in 2002 when Nicole came to NY to be with me), we made sure that we called up at the exact time to greet those at home, a Merry Christmas.

That is probably why Christmas to me had always meant coming home to Manila. In 2003 someone had bought me my first fresh Christmas tree, set it up in my apartment with lights and all but it never really had the same efect on me as the seven-foot plastic tree we had back home. All around me I am surrounded by the blinking lights, the Santa Claus at the streetcorner but I am not stirred, the meaning of the yuletide seems to repel me. Until a week ago, I dreaded Christmas because it meant I would have to get on another plane and travel 18 hours confined in the square foot smaller than my closet (and I have a small closet, trust me!).

Now with ticket on hand and just a few days away from my departure, I am giggly excited. I can't wait to see Nicole and hear her stories about life, love and school. I am wrapping Gabrielle's gifts and smiling because I can imagine how she will tear through her presents. I can' wait to see Liam's antics myself after just hearing about them from my daughter and my mom. I am looking forward to coming home and being engulfed in the love of my family - hearing their voices, exchanging jokes and gossips about the neighbors and just catching up with what we had missed in the past months.

This is the season for love. Whatever you call it, however your traditions take you to experience it, always cherish the special meaning that marks this time of the year. Stop a while from the pace life has taken you and acknowledge the love and blessing of those closest to your heart.

And so from my family in the Philippines and my daughter Nicole, I wish you all Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Joyeux Noel, Buon Natale or Happy Hanukkah and the very best for the New Year's 2006!

Mavic

Popular Posts