Record Breaker

And so we had the biggest blizzard in the history of New York. Everyone was talking about it in amazement and fascination. My French friends were amazed that so much snow can blanket the city; my friends from California boasted of their 80 degree weather; and, everyone else asked how Manhattanites could cope with such a natural catastrophe. Well, we head off, of course – to play.



Those who know me well immediately knew I would join the masses that would beeline to Central Park to enjoy the snow. My all-time excuse: I’ve never had snow in my childhood and so now I am making up for it. And I am not the only one. When friends and I headed to the park at 2PM, many were already on their way home having spent most of the morning there – and to think the blizzard was still in full force. The wind gust of 50 mph and the snowstorm was relentless.

At the park, men, women, children and dogs were enjoying the powdery accumulations. There were children sledding down the slopes of Cedar Hill, some were snowboarding or skiing and dogs frolicked in the snow as well.


The previous record snowfall in New York City was 26.4” set in 1947. By 4PM Saturday we had already surpassed this with a measurement of 26.9”.


There's a dog at the end of the leash! :-)

Popular Posts