HEATWAVE!!!!!!!

The first heatwave of the year had just hit the eastern seaboard and New York had been sizzling since the weekend. It was so bad I woke up early Sunday morning wondering if my airconditioner had died on me or if I was in the midst of my first 'hot flash'. Whew! Grateful that it had been neither - the temperature outside had just become way too punishing that the a/c wasn't enough to bring my apartment to my comfortable temperature. And the exasperating part about it was that there was no relief anywhere in the whole of the continental USA. From coast to coast the country was braking records in terms of heat.

Fortunately, Manhattan has little pockets of parks that sprinkle the city. Along east midtown alone, there is this tiny park at the corner of 46th Street. It had plenty of shade to offer and the soothing sound of the fountain almost lulled one to a nap. It was late morning when I took one of the seats and it was empty. It's a moment when time just stops and the world's troubles are a million miles away.



Even Katherine Hepburn Park along 47th was sleepy. A guy who was bare chested practised his martial arts move on the corner and people took to the benches whiling time away - some with their sweethearts or with their dogs. Pigeons would sometimes break the monotonous lull when they flapped their wings in unison to take flight and circle the park above the lush trees that basked in the sun. Fountains dot the south side of the park, creating a peaceful lullaby amid the peaceful haven. And when it was time, the catholic church on the north side of the park played music from its carillon. I would often come early in these wonderful days so I would have enough time to enjoy the sounds and sights just sitting in one of the benches.

This, I will tell you is heaven on earth.







This was Union Square last Sunday at around noon. It is usually much more crowded with the steps rarely a space available as people fill it to people watch and be watched. Skateboarders and soccer wannabes practise here. With the huge volume of human traffic that crisscross the area, I have no idea how they avoid accidents but I am sure many a New Yorker have had their share of rants about the dare-devils.



Closer look on the same picture provides a common snapshot of Manhattan in the summer - a small patch of grass and you have sunbathers sprawled on a towel in their bikinis.



And what this woman was doing with her friend....I have no idea. But then, this is New York!

Popular Posts