Hellllo summer! (atbp)

Helllo summer!

Read that in the same purring tone as Carrie Bradshaw was cooing to a pair of Blahniks from the display window.

Today is the first full day of summer 2008. Two weeks ago, though we already went through our first heat wave which by definition is more than 3 days of temperatures above 90 degrees. I was not ruffled. Note that I come from the land of the eternal heat wave – the islands of the Philippines. I have mastered the art of staying cool in the hottest and most humid of days – a bottle of almost slushy frozen Gatorade AM. Hey, did you hear what the American Dental Association (ADA) has said about sports drinks and tooth decay? What they did not say in the study though was that these kids that were in the study are not as obsessive as I am about brushing my teeth. I brush my teeth so often and so thoroughly that my dentist has changed my toothbrush to soft bristles and has ordered me to keep it down to at most six times a day. Don’t ask how often I REALLY brush.

My landlord has sent my lease renewal early this month. Year and after year at about this time I contact my friends to contact their real estate friends because I always think that I am ready to stop paying rent and to buy my own place. Woohoo! Imagine me: getting my own mortgage, paying for home insurance, doing my own plumbing and all that grown up stuff. But year after year I would see one condo or coop unit after another and even some houses, I always end up unconvinced. Much as it is very tempting to live in a space that is more than 500 sq. ft., to have a real garden, maybe even a terrace where I can host my own barbeques in the summer I always end up sending back my landlord my lease renewal. A long-term commitment in just another form – that is truly overwhelming.

And the biggest reason of all, of course, is that none of the real estate options that I can afford is within the island of Manhattan. Though I’m sure there would be one or two apartments within New York, NY that is within my bank-approved budget, the value per square foot is not the same. In the end, it is a choice of buying a 650 sq ft one bedroom in the city versus a 1,200 sq ft in Hoboken, New Jersey. Trust me, nothing brings me joy than writing New York, NY on my address line. And so I mailed my lease renewal yesterday. I have a lease for another two years.

What I did instead was refurnish my apartment again. I posted on craigslist my sofa, my dining table and immediately sold them. I am still contemplating about the desk. Like Carrie Bradshaw in ‘Sex and the City’ I do believe that the desk brings luck. So far this desk I’ve owned for six years have brought me a lot of inspiration in my writing – not just my blog but some other personal and unpublished stuff. Maybe this one I will keep.

While searching for new furniture I feel in love with a luxurious mocha microsuede sectional sofa with chaise from The Door Furniture. After taking down the measurements, I came home and measured out space in the apartment and realized it would fit. I of course had intended to consolidate sitting and dining purpose with a big sectional unit. The decision however was vetoed by an interior designer friend. I was convinced to settle for something smaller and more suitable to the dimensions of my apartment. That is why I’m home today on a perfect summer Saturday afternoon – I am waiting for my new furniture to be delivered.

Two months ago the ex-boyfriend brought me two orchid plants. No real occasion but I think he mentioned he was giving me another chance to green my thumb after I instantly killed a pot of orchids he bought me last year. Well, proudly, the two orchids have survived and though most of the flowers have dropped, seems there is a promise there somewhere.

Popular Posts