A Friendship Interrupted

Somehow I knew today would be a great one. On the way to mass while crossing the park at 47th Street, I got a call from Lilet, a friend from college. Last time we emailed each other was before she moved from Guam to Arizona in 2001 and then communication got cut. In my usual obsessive way I started searching for her again and our friend, Lee Meily on the internet. I got their addresses from the alumni page of our school and sent an email hoping the links were not outdated. And crossed my fingers hoping for a reply which came in a call.



LILET AND LEE at Nicole's first birthday

Lilet and Lee both excelled in photography class. They churned the best pictures of the simplest of subjects, able to capture emotions and rein them in for the viewer. And I'm not even surprised that to this day Lilet continues to do photography. Her portfolio and her best works are online, in case you are interested. And yes, I'll have you do the pictures for my wedding. Whenever... !

Lee has taken a different interest, choosing instead to concentrate on film photography. Her project ventures with her husband Mark has resulted in award winning motion pictures in the Philippines, often shown in the United States. I've been able to see two of their much acclaimed films, American-Adobo, filmed in New York about a group of friends and their lives many years after college and more recently, Crying Ladies.

We have had many fun times in school. While I've always been interested in journalism and broadcasting, they were, for me, the masters of the arts. Hanging out at Connie's house near school between classes, visiting me in Cavite and the beach parties in Batangas with the rest of the batch. Now we can resume a friendship where we left off. Still waiting for Lee to reply to our mail, though.

Popular Posts