Friday Night at Home

It's been a while since I stayed home on a Friday. When my parents were here I quit social life temporarily, opting to mingle and mix only with relatives who were visiting to see them or friends at work and even that, confined it to a 9 to 5 thing. Either see me at lunch or postpone it til after they have left.

Tonight is a Friday. I am home. I have chosen to be home, alone and planned on sulking. I did my laundry (AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!) earlier and I now have clean clothes neatly stacked and hung in my closet. A friend dropped by to finish the menudo my mom cooked and the pan de sal leftover from the breakfast I brought to work yesterday for Renee and Wally. He helped me move my furniture around some more (because he couldn't see the TV from the sofa) and then went home because I told him I wanted to be alone to sulk more effectively. On the way out he warned me I only had until the end of the weekend to sulk and then he wasn't allowing it anymore. I hate it when friends care too much. It gets way too mushy when I'm vulnerable.

I also discovered something. It is a myth that ALL New Yorkers go out on a Friday. I can audibly confirm that my neighbor upstairs is home. I can hear her very heavy footsteps pacing the floor all night. As I was finishing my chore in the laundry room in my basement, another lady has just started to do her own load. I know her by face, and know she lives on the 4th floor. But we know each other only as much as we are familiar with the rest of the residents of the building. The couple a few doors from me are cooking something delicious and the aroma of the tomatoes cooking fills the corridors and their muffled voice can be heard when you pass their door.

It is 1030PM and I really have nothing planned for the night. I think I will sit around and browse the internet until it is time for Dave Letterman. Maybe tonight he will spoof again Bush's bulge on his back. What do you think the boxy bulge is?

I will probably attempt to finally catch up on my unread emails (98 in my yahoo mailbox and if I didn't reply to you yet then maybe yours is still unread). Maybe I will send a note to some friends to catch up. My friend Allen is in San Francisco and she called last night for a chit chat. I still owe her another call for a longer chismisan.

Friday night at home in my silk jammies and munching on grapes. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I even have more clean clothes in my closet. Not bad at all.

PERSONAL NOTE:

On Sunday I will join the American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Walk at Central Park. This is the 3rd year I will be doing this and I think I have made this my personal crusade. I encourage you to join any breast cancer walks in your city or if you can't, to send a check to the ACS. Any amount, big or small will benefit the research for the disease. It just might benefit someone you know - a mom, a sister, a child, an aunt, friend or neighbor.


Popular Posts