Apprentices

I had the chance to watch Donald Trump last night when he gave a sort of summary of how his search for his new 'Apprentice' has progressed. Much as it had been one of the most watched shows on TV, I haven't really had a chance to sit and watch the show though once in a while I have had the TV on and I would glance at it now and then from whatever else I am doing.

Last night, because it was shown right before the only show I ever really watch, The West Wing, I feel like I had just been given a refresher course on the season's progress.

Donald Trump explained how he had eliminated each week's victim from running for a seat to manage one of his companies. He has many reasons and what is amazing is that to some of those he had given pink slips he had noted that he found them to be very intelligent and very business-savvy and even notes that he is confident that they would be successful in life. So why they fired them? I guess probably because there is a rule that there has to be one (or two, in one episode) who have to be scratched off the list weekly.

Correct me if I am wrong but the competition amongst these people who are forced into situations where they have to work with each other is fierce, almost deadly. I have never seen people openly backstabbing each other or shoving the blame to someone else through lies or schemes. The bickerings are endless especially in the boardroom where deliberations for the eliminations take place.

My stress level increases just watching the show (the only episode I have actually really seen, if I have to emphasize again). I have talked with the M.O. and we are both in the opinion that most of what we were watching were probably scripted but still, I can't seem to help but be affected by it. I mean, I try to put myself into the shoes of any one of them and I feel like a rat in a lab experiment trying to make it through survival tests.

And that is probably what the show's whole message is. That is you put highly competitive people who are all pushing and shoving each other to be the lone winner, you get fierce and dirty competition.

This is TV. Reality TV they call it. I can just hope that my reality doesn't reflect this kind of daily work environment.

I have always said that sometimes it is not the pay or the kind of work or the kind of importance you get from the things you do from 9 to 5. What makes it worth your while is the people you work with. When you spend a majority of your waking hours in an environment where you feel you always have to watch your back for that backstabber or when someone is constantly trying to create a divisive workspace and builds suspicious relationships among colleagues then it is hell.

For TV such a work situation might appeal to those who can relate to it. In real life, I think it is poison.

Popular Posts