The Pride Parade 2008

My Sundays are often sedate.  Last Sunday though it was insane with the Euro Cup 08 Finals between Spain and Germany (which Spain won 1-0) and then there was the Pride Parade that marched along Fifth Avenue.  Having spent Saturday in New Jersey, we got into the city late in the morning and decided to wait in front of the New York Public Library. 


I was the first in my spot under the shade and isolated from the passing pedestrians by newspaper boxes and so it was peaceful for a while.  And then just as the parade was moving down 42nd Street, a Chinese girl slid beside me and decided to play Ms. Congeniality of the Pride Parade 2008.  She was waving to everyone as though she knew then from last night.  I wouldn't have been annoyed by her perkiness except that for about 60% of my pictures the image of a finger, her hand or her whole arm were caught into my frame.  As I was zooming to shoot a photo of Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Governor Patterson, she began to jump up and down screaming at the top of her lungs: Michael! Michael! Yes, it was very very annoying.

One hour after the parade started, I had another man standing behind me with a camera with realy long lens.  And since he was a short rude man, he positioned his camera right behind my ears and had hit the side of my head several times when he was taking his shots.  Having had enough of the madness and with the rain clouds now rolling down, I decided to leave.  It was timely as half an hour later it seemed the heavens just broke open and released a dam of water onto the city. 

I have no idea how the parade managed with the deluge but there was a moment at Kinsale bar while sipping my mojito when I wondered what if I had stayed behind to see and maybe photograph how the rain would have souped up an otherwise joyful annual party on Manhattan streets. But then I would have missed Spain's winning goal on the 33rd minute of the game. 

Then I conclude that everything just has a reason...  =)

Popular Posts