New York in Bloom

Sunday morning was really soggy. Nicole and I woke up to the sound of splashing from the avenue outside of the window. We thought that the rest of the weekend would be a washout. We had just spent Saturday out of town, in Queens =), roaming the Queens Mall and keeping dry.

A little around lunchtime, the rain stopped, the clouds gave way to clear blue skies and the sun shone brightly into Manhattan. Woooohoooo! 'Twas to be a perfect spring day after all!



Nicole and I headed for Central Park, just as half of Manhattan did. We entered the park on 79nd Street, walked southwards and west towards the Boathouse, down the trail towards Bethesda Fountain and then up the stairs towards the Mall. There we sat a while, enjoying some lemonade and a popcicle while listening to music from a saxophone player.





New York and Central Park is just beautiful in the spring. Everywhere you go you are surrounded by colorful blooms. The flower pots on Third Avenue are filled with pink and purple tulips and closer to midtown, more colors seem to overflow.





We walked further south and basked in the sun fronting the pond called Duck's Island. Then I decided to give my friend Mayan a call, something we haven't had a chance to do for a while. We chatted on for an hour, two friends from opposite sides of the expanse of the US - about life, loves, and laughed on and on. She promised to come visit me in the summer, something I look forward to. I have always enjoyed her company and miss those night outs we used to have in Manila. I told her about the clubs and we giggled about the prospect of a girl's night out. I'm so looking forward to it. And same thing, Ms. P - yes, the 5 cent tour would be that of the UN Building. Just come visit =).



As Nicole and I exited the park on Central Park West, we found two yellow elephants in printed diapers so perfect for a picture pose. And so we obliged.



Sunday, spring, sunshine, a chat with a friend and my dear daughter with me through the park for a stroll. What else can be better on a perfect day when New York is in bloom?

Popular Posts