A Walk to Save Lives!



My first "Making Strides for Breast Cancer" walk was in October 2002 in Central Park. I was surprised and overwhelmed by the massive turn-out of people for the 8 mile walk around and across Central Park on a crisp autumn morning. It was my officemate, Tess, who invited me to join. At that time she was also mourning the demise of a close friend who had been a victim of breast cancer. She had all the works - pins and banners and balloons. In 2003 I joined the walk with my friend Ludette and her friends and then last year I went by myself but not really alone because I joined with my organization's team.

In previous years I passed around the American Cancer form and collected checks from friends who donated to fund my walk. This year I decided to do it differently, by putting up a website care of the same organization and this would hopefully help ease registration. This year, I have also decided to dedicate my walk to a friend, to give it more meaning. I have decided to walk for my friend Vanj. This strong woman has for me and many others who follow her blog been the torch bearer for various breast cancer advocacies. Our mutual friend Jong has also emailed me about his plans about putting together a team of cancer survivors alongside his Manila Dragon rowing team.

There are many types of cancers that afflict women. You realize when you read the statistics that cancer does not pick its victims by race, by age, social status or by any other standard. Victims are afflicted from as early as birth to as late as senility.

Cancer research is important to find a cure before more lives are lost to the disease. In 2004 more than half a million people died of cancer, second only to heart disease which claimed more than 700,000 lives. Of this number, 27,281 women died of breast cancer which makes it the second deadliest kind of cancer after lung/bronhus kind of cancer. Unfortunately, based on the same statistics from the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the only kind with almost the same rate of mortality based on records since 1930. The same research proves that there is more than a 75% survival rate to breast cancer and most specially if it is diagnosed in its early stages. That is why early detection is crucial.

Do you do regular self-examination of your breasts for any abnormalilities? If you are more than 40 years old, you should ask your OB/GYN about annual mammograms. Be reminded that the most careful and most diligent are not safe from breast cancer.

What causes breast cancer? Is it in the food that we eat? Is it hereditary? Is it in the air we breathe? Is it in the bra we wear? The deodorants? The cologne? The baby powder? Was it because you took the Pill or because you didn't? Was it because you had children? Was it because you didnt? So many questions and we need all of them answered. No more speculations but something more concrete, more accurate.

My cause is simple - to make breast cancer a disease that would have a prevention and a cure for the sake of all our barkadas, girlfriends, cousins, aunts, sisters, daughters, mothers and for ourselves.

A small amount will make a big difference for lifesaving research, patients services programs, advocacy and education.

P.S. Thanks to my first batch of donors (despite just a trial email to a handful of friends) who have surprised me by making me meet my initial target. Thanks Jojo, Bechay, Remy and Irene!!!

Popular Posts