In the Mail

As you may noticed I have been cheating on my blog the past few entries. Blame the holidays and being busy while home in the Philippines (and sick as well) and then the bloody jetlag that's bogged me down for the past week now (yes, I didn't sleep til 5AM this morning).

So Happy New Year's to all, from this blogger on her first real entry for the year.


I am now back home in my Manhattan apartment, sitting in front of the computer and listening to the red-carpetless rendition of the Golden Globe Awards on TV. Outside it has started to rain, a prelude to the expected snow. I do not hear the pitter patter of the raindrops as I so enjoyed back home at my parent's house. The rain in Manhattan is soundless except for the splashing of the car tyres on the avenue below my window as they drive past. I do not hear the raindrops tip tap the roof above because there is no roof above - just more apartments same sized as mine though probably messier.


I tidied up my apartment today. Finally I have unpacked and have stashed the luggage in my closet again, filled with my spring and summer clothes for re-unpacking when this season is done. And then the sweaters will trade places with the light cotton blouses.


I also had time to run through the huge red bag that the postman have left on my doorstep on Thursday evening. Prior to leaving for Manila, I have made an online request to USPS to put my maill on hold and for them to re-deliver on the day of my return.


The bag was filled with Christmas catalogs from Bloomingdale's, Banana Republic, West Elm and Victoria's Secret. I browsed through them with interest though most of the coupons were now expired so there goes any more plans for shopping (add the fact that I need to financially recover from the trip!). There were also copies of my magazine subscriptions which I realized i wouldn't have time to read through til March. And then the bills : grateful that I was able to put on hold likewise most of my utilities - cable, internet, phone, Netflix and the gym membership so I wouldn't be billed when I wouldn't be using them. And then of course, Christmas cards.


As early as Thanksgiving I usually have filled out and addressed the cards I plan to be sending out. It minimizes the stress of the rush right before departure. Last December I dropped them in the mailbox on the afternoon right before I took the cab to their airport. Most of them made it to their destinations. Only one came back - I never know why Bu's cards never made it to Guam regardless if I send it to her PO box or her home address. Did you move?


I got a handful of cards, mostly with pictures. I liked that. It was great to see friends, not just cards. I tried to recall the name of my friend's brood and have had 75% success rate. It was great to see that everyone was alright, everyone looked good.


One more important thing came in my belated bulk mail: Remy's wedding invitation which I have missed because she had it while I was in Manila. Well, I promised her instead that I will make up for the absence - when we have her baby shower.

Soon I hope???

Popular Posts