Puppy Love

I've been seriously considering getting a new roomie. A puppy to come home to everyday sounds really great. A pup that jumps with joy when it sees me, loves me unconditionally and one that I can share my secrets with and not fear it will in the future be used against me :-)

I'm not so sure if I can settle for a much older dog at the kennel or the pound. I am tempted to think that I could but since I am literally going to be just a new pup owner I think the safest thing is to get a new pup. I think it'll be great to be in a situation where we are both learning about each other from scratch (pun intended).

Back home in Manila we have always had dogs but I can't claim full ownership for them. My mom usually is their master because she groomed, bathed and fed them. I just play. I'm not so sure either about how well I can manage with a new responsibility. I fear this will affect my tendency to just drop things and leave for somewhere, and might even have consequences to my social life. Doggie needs to be walked every morning (there goes sleeping late) and at the end of the day (limited night outs or will have to go home first). And walking the dog in Manhattan means picking up puppy's poop when it is done with its duty (I am way too squeamish). When it gets ill I'd have to nurse it back to health which I do not mind. Neither do I mind the bathing and grooming part. Or the playing with it in the park part and the having it sleep on my bed part.

Still I need to step back from the want picture a bit and think about it more thoroughly before I bring home a new puppy. As for breed, I am sure of one thing: my studio apartment dictates it would have to be small. Not mousey tiny small but just small. Our Spock at home was a Silky Terrier. My friends have Westies (below) and Yorkies (above) or similarly small dogs which I find similarly manageable in temperament and care required.

Of course, my friends have also suggested that I get a cat instead, noting it is less complicated as a dog. Well, I'd hate the fact that kitty it won't come to me when I call it. Trust me.

Popular Posts