A Life of Travel

Page by page, I cannot help but feel envious of the life Elizabeth Gilbert is living in her bestselling book, "eat pray love". Not so much, of course the collapse of a marriage or the fleeting relationships after. That drama I have found on my own to live time and again and the drama never ceases to amuse me regardless how I try to avoid them.

Elizabeth Gilbert then decides to pack her things and to live away for a year - four months each in Italy, in India and in Bali, Indonesia. Her life in Rome - that could as well be my life. Studying a new language, meeting new people and bring introduced to a new life. A chance to reinvent myself - again, as I'd like to think that I did leave behind the old me in Manila and has developed myself into a person - more tolerant in such a way that only a Manhattanite can be, more relaxed, more broad-minded.

Back to a life in Rome - I'd love to eat gelato everyday at 1030AM, be lost in the liquid eyes of a stranger who speaks in such a romantic language I do not understand, be dined and wined and be wooed. In a city that is dotted with many fountains I'd love to be like Elizabeth and have a favorite fountain or two. I'd love to read Italian newspapers even if it takes me a day to translate one because afterall, there is no reason to rush. I'd love to drive along the Amalfi coast on a convertible with the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. I'd love to wake up and not give a damn about what suit to wear to work or have to meet deadlines. I'd love to have the freedom not to deal with people I'd really not deal with. I'd love to have a life that I own. Like Elizabeth Gilbert, I have succeeded in knowing that I do not want to live how everyone else lives their lives. Thankfully there is that freedom of an option.

This afternoon in a phone call the Italian we exchanged plans for the year. I had planned to see him in Ukraine when he got an assignment there in December 2007. He called me while I was in Manila and invited me for a visit. I have researched like an insane woman for flights, places to see and things to do. I learned about the museums and the nightclubs on the beach and imagined a nightlife of parties that stretches until the sunrise. I targeted a visit in the spring but typical of plans with the Italian, nothing is ever final. In January, he was sent back to Italy by his administration, from where he was calling me from tonight.

If he doesn't get another assignment abroad, he told me he planned to take 6 months off starting in October and then to travel the world. I told him if he was still in Italy in the spring then I might reconsider meeting up with him either in Rome or in Spain where our friend Jorge has a standing invitation to me for a visit. Ibiza, he spoke thoughtfully and I think we had the same thoughts of beach and paradise. And if not in Europe, he promised we will see each other in New York this year.

If I had a chance, I'd take a leave off life for year myself and just go away. Go somewhere and just rediscover life in another space, another time, live life like I am starting all over again. If I had a chance, I'd live the pages of Ms. Gilbert's adventure word per word.

This year hopes to have a chance for travel. A good year is promised while a life of a dream still remains.

Popular Posts