Calorie Counting

With Nicole staying with me, the meals at home take a whole new perspective.  My health nut of a child grazes on salads with lean dressings and warns me about anything unhealthy that I may intend to devour.  She watches what she eats as obsessively as I make sure everything around me is tidy, organized and sanitized.  While I enjoy cooking the meals most times, last night she ventured into her first cooking adventure.  With very little supervision she whipped up a very good version of linguine with Alfredo sauce.  It was delish!!!

We both have the same little guilty pleasure from a single food group which is top on our own pyramid - ice cream.  Regardless how carefully we have picked out our food from our lunch or dinner menu it only takes one to invite and we can never turn each other down.  We love them all - all flavors of pinkberry with any topping, tasti-d-lite with candy sprinkles or with choco chips, Ben and Jerry's variety of flavors (although I will kill for the Cherry Garcia), the gelatos at little Italy or Grom's or the concoctions at Stone Creamy. 

So what do you think we do on an evening when we are both bored, munching on leftovers for dinner because we are too lazy to cook and not hungry enough to be motivated to order in?  We scan McDonald's menu for their nutritional information.  This, after Nicole have read in the New York Magazine that some of them actually cheat on what they publish in terms of calories. 

This is wickedly devastating and eye-opening to the avid drive-in fanatic out there:

McDonalds:

Deluxe Breakfast (Large Size Biscuit) w/o Syrup & Margarine 15.3 oz (434 g)
Calories  1150
Sodium:  2260
Chicken McNuggets® (10 piece) 5.6 oz (159 g)
Calories  460
Sodium 1000
Chicken Selects® Premium Breast Strips (5 pc) 7.7 oz (219 g)
Calories 660
Sodium 1680

OMIGOSH!!!! Although I've never had it (because breakfast for me is Gatorade and dry Honeynut Cheerios) a Deluxe Breakfast from McDonald's would comprise my FULL caloric daily requirement and waaaay more than the daily sodium I need for a week!!!!

What about you?  What are you putting into your mouth????

Popular Posts