Fortune Cookie

Why some New York Japanese restaurants offer fortune cookies I will never know.  But I love the excitement of getting something in return for my 15% tip, even if everyone else on the table think the 'fortune' is a farce.  I subscribe to serendipitous possibilities - after my sukiyaki I will have the wise maitre'd serve me my future in 10 words.

And so eagerly, like the usual ritual we have had many times before, as six pieces of fortune cookies land with the faux leather folder that carries our bill, I gather them up and distribute them around to my friends except for two pieces. The last two pieces I then keep on my open palm for my friend to pick his and whatever is left behind is the fortune cookie of my destiny:

"Live out of your imagination instead of out of your memory"

Well said.


M
New York

Popular Posts