Going back to School

I'm going back to school in a few weeks. Well, nothing grand but something I am looking forward to just as well. Am totally excited about it, actually. (Jumping up and down, doing somersaults kind of excited) I have decided to enrol for Spanish classes and yesterday despite the odds being against me (I missed the deadline for signing up for it, I haven't renewed my ID to qualify for the requirement that my employment term be longer than the school term), I got in. School starts April 19th.

SPANISH??? My friend sneered at me last night after I phoned her, "You can't even speak grammatically correct Tagalog, Victoria!!!". I heave a sigh, "Only because no one I had regular conversations with encouraged me to improve on my Tagalog," including her. "And Spanish? Why Spanish? Why not French?", my optimistically supportive friend asks. Well, I just think it would be easier to learn since I did speak Chavacano daw before I went to school in Manila. Chavacano is a unique dialect/language based on ancient creole Spanish spoken more by the older generations of Cavitenos. I learned it because my nanny, Senora Day was fluent. I can still understand it like I can the Iliganon dialect. After working for almost 8 years with a company that often brought me to the southern city of Iligan in the Philippines, I have grown accustomed to being spoken in Iliganon and then replying either in English or Tagalog. And Spanish is closest to the Filipino language and most of its dialects. I'm hoping to learn and that my initial enthusiasm doesn't die down.

Real school, however, is something I have contemplated about for a while now. Being in Manhattan makes returning to the academic community a very realistic endeavor since there are so many schools within a subway ride away from home. I'd like to return to school and do further studies in either Marketing Communications or Corporate Communications. There are several colleges in Manhattan that offer the course but my self-doubt regarding long-term commitments to such projects raise fear that I could instead be just wasting my time and money. Or maybe I just need someone to cheer me on.

For now, a a two-month and a half course in Spanish suits me perfectly. It's not something I'm paying for (yup, it's free at work!), it's scheduled everyday at 8:30 to 9:30 in the morning (good time for me) and being a short course, I'm hoping not to get tired of it before I finish it. So, I'll keep you posted on this one.

Popular Posts