The Philippines from an artist's eye


Caleruega in Batangas, Philippines
Pictures by Jong Valientes

Bu alerted me with an email that my friend Jong had just uploaded pictures of Caleruega. I was walking on 1st Avenue, near 50th when yahoo alerted me by sending me an SMS message to my cellphone (techy, huh?). My pace quickened and in no time, I was in front of my computer and getting sentimental as I went from picture to picture. The church has a special meaning to me. But no, I'm not getting into that detail.

Jong is the catalyst to many of my friends getting into the 'phlog' habit. I've also shared his website with many of my NY-based friends who are constantly asking about places to see in the Philippines. There are a lot, really, but to me personally, its always just been the beach, the fresh mountain vistas of Tagaytay and the old churches that I have most appreciation for and miss the most. So when Jong started uploading pictures online I was profoundly stunned that these were sights I've encountered often, if not daily, but overlooked when I was still Manila-based. It goes in the same adage that you never appreciate anything until it is gone - or something like that.

I have always had great respect, admiration and perhaps a hint of envy for people with a keen eye for photography. I can appreciate but I think I've never had the talent of being able to convey a message or provoke emotion with an image. Fortunately for me, many of my friends have the artist's eye and are absolutely generous enough to share their obra maestras with me.

Please go visit Jong's site when you have time and appreciate what the Philippines is about, not in the postcard sort of way but in how an artist who wears his heart on his sleeve sees his world.

Thanks Jong for easing the pain of homesickness.

Popular Posts