Falling in Love in New York

Once in your life you will find him
Someone who turns your heart around
And next thing you know
You're closing down the town.
Wake up and it's still with you
Even though you left him way across town
Wonderin' to yourself, hey, what have I found.

When you get caught
Between the moon and New York City
I know it's crazy but it's true;
If you get caught
Between the moon and New York City
The best that you can do
The best that you can do
Is fall in love.

from: Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross

He laughs when he is happy and he is contagious. When something is bothering him, he smiles back at me when I ask if I can help but he doesn't brood about it. And I let him because when it becomes intolerable I know he will share it with me, even at two o'clock in the morning.

He makes me appreciate being in New York. We've walked from downtown to uptown, east side to west side. He enjoys telling me stories, then tells me I ask a lot of questions. But he answers all of them. He also tells me I make him feel old because I have so much energy. We're just the same age but we look at the world in the eyes of a child so each day is something to look forward to. I probably wouldn't appreciate New york City as much if it were not for him. At a time not long ago, I had contemplated walking away from all of this. And now seems I can't.

Every bit of the world feels good when you share it with someone. Even the troubles are less in weight, the frightening moments, less dark. And every bit of the beautiful things is intensified ten-fold - the changing of the colors in the fall, the first snow, the smell of christmas trees on streetcorners, the coming of spring, a light drizzle in a sunny morning.

And when he is away, I jump at the sound of the phone and I can always tell if its him even before I hear the voice on the other end. He emails me in the middle of the day just to say I'm missed or that a thought about us came to mind.

He and I are two very different people, born from lands as far away from each other. We share some things in common - a close-knit family and the value and love we have for them, a life of discovery and a hope for a future with someone to make dreams come true. Like two birds landing on the same branch in the course of a journey. We now promise to journey each day as friends and more.

Once in a lifetime something good comes along and you pray - really hard, that it doesn't end. Now 8 months later, I have more faith than ever it is going to be a while before the highs take a down trend.

Popular Posts