The M.O.

My girlfriend calls him the M.O. because he has a lot of modus operanda in life. To me he is chauffeur, tennis teacher, walk in the park companion, and best friend. Also ex-boyfriend who respects the fact there is now someone new in my life.

Story #1
M.O. doesn't have the link to my blog. He majored in some psychology related field. He knows me well, he can read me like a book. So driving up to the Palisades one Saturday morning:

"You wrote about my mom on your blog" was his dry statement. I didn't.

"Mitzie asked me about it." he continued.

"And when did you talk to Mitzie?"

"Yesterday on the phone." he said without looking away from the road.

"Nice try," I smile back. Mitzie is out of the country, since two weeks ago. Nice try, I thought again.

Story # 2:
We were searching for a book and some maps on Puerto Rico in his apartment. He is not a slob but he misplaces a lot of things, ex-girlfriends included.

M.O.: Life was better when you were here, you kept things in their proper places
Me: (I turn my head slowly to his direction, almost grinning but not really, right eyebrow raised)
M.O.: It's not about that Filipina maid thing issue (I squirm). It's just that things were much more organized when you took care of stuff (I squirm some more). Everything in its proper place. Guys don't do that. Unless they're you-know...
Me: (raise left eyebrow, both eyebrows now arching, half smiling but still not really)
M.O.: (continues babbling about neatness not being a man-thing, justifying how mothers always kept things in place for boys like him)
Me: (same expression, hands now on my waist)
M.O.:It's not a bad thing you know, I like a girl who mothers me.
Me: (BEWLDERMENT!)
M.O.: it's true! women who are nurturing are easier to love than those who are constantly combative. We want to have someone take care of us and then it gives us incentive to reciprocate when you do.
Me: (just keep staring at him with same bewildered expression)
M.O.: Frigging crying out loud Victoria, say something! You're driving me up the wall!!!!

Story #3
Me: I need a third language. Teach me Chinese. R. said you minored in Chinese in college.
M.O.: (flashes me a WHAT???!!!! look)
Me: graduating from your school is a bragging right, you know.
M.O.: I have other things to brag about
Me: So teach me chinese
M.O.: (hands me chinese take-out menu) R. meant I ate so much chinese while in school I minored in it.
Me: nyek!

Story #4
Talking about my endeavor to help a friend
M.O.: you waste so much of your time on these people who don't deserve it
Me: well, you never know who deserves it til after you've helped them
M.O.: and so far your charity have benefitted the non-deserving
Me: you can't know that at the start. it's a risk.
M.O.: have them do something for you first.
Me: what if they think I should do something good for them first?
M.O.: then you don't deserve whatever they have to offer.
Me: oo nga no....

Popular Posts