Let the dreams begin!

I watched with a friend last night the opening ceremonies of the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. We were like kids hypnotized by the program's special effects, fireworks and over-all magic. My Italian friend will travel to the games on its final weekend and I had him promise to get me a baseball cap as a souvinir. And to think, he did not even plan to go in March because he was worried it would be too crowded and inconveniences often accompany such events. But since he is just a border away from Athens, it is a great idea and he is going.

Rockefeller Center is simmering with the Olympic fever. NBC, which is the sole local TV channel with full coverage of the games has studios based here anyways and they had sent their banner announcers: Katie Couric, Matt Lauer and Al Rouker to Athens to anchor the telecasts. At the lounge downstairs, there was a full display of the winning design for the proposed Olympic Village when New York City makes a bid as the venue for the 2012 games. I finished my Auntie Anne's sour cream and onion pretzel (which I couldn't figure if it was going to be breakfast or lunch), my friend and I inspected the display and watched the ads with Jerry Seinfeld and Billie Crystal intended to jumpstart the enthusiasm for New York's bid. All of these images and ads can be seen and downloaded at NYC2012's website.


The Olympics in New York. And why not?

The Olympics is a venue for the gathering of all countries for fair competition. Look at New York City and it is already an Olympic village! This is probably the most culturally diverse urban setting in the whole world. The competitive spirit is definitely alive - just try catching a cab during rainy rush hours (just as in Seinfeld's ad and mostly based on my own personal experience, too). This is probably the only place in the world where people on foot get to their destinations faster than those on wheels. And if you're familiar with Manhattan, you'll know that walking (sometimes resembling marathon lengths) is definitely the sport for everyone.


We already have the efficient transport system in place - have you tried getting into the 7 trains in September? I have sworn not to do that again after my exprience last year when the packed train caused me to be too intimate with a fellow passenger. He was standing in front of me and I was right underneath his arm face to face with his bare sweaty armpits since he was wearing tanks. And it was sweltering. Ew! And that's just when the US Tennis Open is ongoing in Flushing Meadows in Queens! Imagine when the Olympics comes and about 10 million people descend into this corner of the globe. And talking about descending into New York, wow, can you imagine Times Square accommodating any more into the crowd! Drop a needle and I'm sure it will not hit ground.


I'm just ranting but you know what? It would be great to have the Olympics come to New York. I'd love to be part of that history in this lifetime. And while people will be trying to come to the city and see the games, I'd be at an advantage because I'm here already!

The best idea hit me though: I'd sublet my apartment and then take a vacation in Bermuda. So soon as New York wins the bid - and I am confident we will, give me a call and bid me a fee for my unit. I might throw in the free orange juice and bagels with cream cheese for your breakfast.

Popular Posts