Cravings

I went out with the M.O. for dinner the other night and we had Italian. While we waited for our order, the waiter brought us a small basket of assorted bread and breadsticks. I am not usually a pre-dinner nibbler but the mini-baguettes, I devoured them like I had just arrived from the hundred-day-fast.

Last night when I got home I started obsessing about my favorites: prosciutto de parma, sopressata mortadella, serrano ham and cheese! And you'd think I would forget about it in the morning right?

Well, I didn't and since breakfast I had been obsessing about what I wanted for lunch. And so with the perfect springtime weather providing further motivation (as though I needed more), I walked two blocks and found myself at Cipriani Le Specialita across the Grand Central Station and ordered myself a baguette with mortadella and provolone. My sandwich and a can of San Pellegrino Limonada and I had to shell out $9.00.

After work, I took the M15 bus to 14th Street with Renee and half-ran to the East Village Cheese on Third Avenue between 9th and 10th Streets so I could beat their 6PM closing. It is still one of the cheapest place to get your deli stuff in Manhattan and it has forever been a mystery how they can keep their prices so low.

After a quick run around the store, I lined up at the cashier with my purchase: two pieces Portuguese rolls, half a pound each of imported Italian Prosciuuto di Parma and sopressata, sliced Havarti cheese and a cup of Boursin light. Surprisingly, with enough to make lunch for about 4 people, I only paid $11.00. When I got home, I compared the prices with my favorite grocery site: freshdirect and realized if I had ordered it online I would have paid more than twice that!

I just love New York - you can get a taste of the best of the world at a bargain if you know where to go! And the cravings had nothing to do with anything...it's just that time of the month.

Popular Posts