Babies!

Two or three years past, I was organizing one bachelorette after the other. If not, I'd be involved in the wedding details of girlfriends or attending bridal showers. Of course, there were also the weddings which until now fill my calendar an average of about one every two months. Eventually, I knew everyone would get onto the next step after the bachelorette, the wedding, the honeymoon and the mortgage - THE BABY.

Last month, on 16 April, Sophia Anne was born to my friend Kristine. Last Friday I talked to her on the phone where she proudly declared to me that she was breastfeeding. And then we began to giggle about her struggles to manage taking care of her child by herself, after her mother-in-law and other relatives have finally left mom and child alone for some bonding time.

It was tough, she confessed, trying to give such a fragile baby a bath and try not break it apart. She laughed as she shared with me her first baby bathing experience and how she has not had a decent sleep for more than a month now. But yes, she was very very happy. Sometimes, she confesses she feels like little Sophie is just staring at her wondering what mom is trying to do but many a moments, I assured her, it would be very very rewarding to know you ARE doing the right thing - whatever that is.
And then of course, there are the showers. On one weekend, I drove near Long Island with my friend and her family to attend the shower of a friend having twins. Needless to say, most gifts came in tandem.

Later on during the week was the baby shower I held for my dearest Thereza whose baby boy Hunter is due in July. Friends from our old office came to join us for a mini reunion and it was fun catching up and joking about hairlines receeding and waistlines disappearing.
In an email to a friend a few days back, we talked about setting up families and finding ourselves as single people in the midst of our friends' couplings. To me it is about the certainty that I am happy with where I am right now. To him, it is hoping that he can partake in these life celebrations eventually.
I told him I could organize his bachelor party for him. Whenever that will be.

Popular Posts