In Love Again


Six years later, I continue to find spring to be my favorite time of the year. Everything just feels like a rebirth, a sense of renewal. This weekend was about wandering and rediscovering the city I continue to be in love with. In an email to a friend last week, I told him that New York and I have this kind of a secret love affair that continually rediscovers itself in the spring.
Like love, there is so much excitement in waking up in the morning knowing that you have the whole day to spend together. I can run around the island from East end to the Hudson basking in the sun, feeling the fresh breeze and low humidity, under the blue skies and amidst the sweet smell of the colorful blooms. And that was what I did.


I walked the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan and headed for the promenade of the East River along DUMBO in Brooklyn to enjoy the vista of downtown New York. Sun worhsipers were sprawled on the grassy shores. Along Front Street, I shared a white pizza with a friend and had a scoop of homemade ice cream at the Ferry piers.

From there, I returned to the city by foot again via the Brooklyn Bridge. I chanced upon a couple who were taking pictures of each other. I offered to take their picture together and found out they were visiting from London. Since I had a camera slung over my shoulder, they offered to have my picture taken too, as a return favor. I refused, telling them I have many pictures on the bridge already since I lived here. They smiled and said, "You are very lucky to live here."

It was a wonderful day and my love for the city is once more affirmed.

Popular Posts