Dove si va ce non c'e

Whenever I come home to my parent's house for the holidays I end up digging through the old stuff I had left behind. Old pictures housed in shoe boxes now faded with time but with each image, the memories are still vivid. Clothes I used to wear to work in my corporate world pre-New York, old letters from former colleagues, ex-boyfriends and friends. I even discovered a shelf full of old cross-stich projects and the boxes of threads I had collected.

Books, old music tapes and vinyl records of Shaun Cassidy are all neatly packed in shelves or in my old bedroom now and then dusted by the ever faithful maid who is tasked to keep things in neat older.

I wonder, however, why although we have a tendency to have a place for everything we had outgrown we tend to or choose to forget some parts of our past - like old loves, for instance. Where does old lovers end up in our memories after we have cried out for failed romances? Often we forget, choosing to stay away from the remembrances of old pain. Maybe daring to reminisce when the alcohol boldly dares us to but never in sane and sober state do we sit and wonder what may have been - specially if it had been something deep and intense.

I wonder though, what really happens to all that intensity of love and passion after we have moved on to another romance. Do old feelings get shelved too? Is it forgotten or does it fill a part of our heart that stays there forever, waiting for some rude awakening - heaven forbid! Or does it sink into the past, fades like some forlorn pigment of imagination that we eventually lose grasp of.

I wonder.

Dove si va se non c’è
Feelings
Come si far per tenerlo con sè
Dimmi se, dimmi che forse credere si può
Oh feelings dove si va se non c’è
-Lyrics by Il Divo

Popular Posts