New Friends

The family driver dropped me off at the Manila International Airport at 5:00 AM, way too early for my 10AM flight. It was a Thursday and the color-coding scheme of Manila banned the red car from the streets after 7AM so we had no choice.

As expected, the check in counters were still close. The only other person there was another woman who smiled at me as I approached dragging my luggage. We made small talk and I found out that she was flying to Vancouver and that her name was Salome. This was the second time she was leaving Manila in two months, having returned just a week ago for her brother's funeral after he was run over by a mini-bus. Her family is based in La Union. A month ago, she was also in town but for a vacation and she related how her brother was so happy, so filled with life and the more cheerful of her two brothers (and 11 other siblings).

While we waited for the check-in counters to open, an elderly couple joined us in the line. They were a very shy pair, almost embarrassed to even inquire if this was the correct queue for their designated flight to Kona, Hawaii. Salome looked at their ticket and confirmed that they were on the right line. I looked at the huge plastic transparent bags they carried with brown envelopes inside. I knew they were travelling as immigrants.

They introduced themselves as Conching and Eleuterio from Cagayan Valley. Although they were the same age as Salome (65 years old) their faces were weathered, signs of the not so easy life they have led. He was the Baranggay Leader of their town, he told us and has had three terms before turning over the current one to one of his "Kagawad" (assistant) since he was immigrating. They have five children, two are in Hawaii, one is in Singapore and the other two remained in their hometown in Cagayan. Mang Eleuterio pulled out his ID card to show off his status as Baranggay Leader and I praised that he looked very handsome in his picture. He aso shared that the town had given them a 'despedida' (goodbye) party before they travelled. Aling Conching added that a lot of friends cried when they left. I joked that he must have broke a lot of the women's hearts for going away.

When the check-in counters opened, I moved to another line since I was travelling on business class. I met up with them again after paying the airport terminal fee and Salome shared with me how she had rescued them when they were lining up to pay for their terminal fee. It seems that Aling Conching didn't realize she also had to be in the line with her husband and when she did try to get into the line a woman rudely called their attention and despite Aling Conching's apology she persisted with her behavior, almost belittling the couple. It must have been obvious that they were first-time travellers and were open to abuse. Aling Conching tearfully told me she had never felt so humiliated and I was so angry at the insensitivity they had to suffer. How typical of Filipinos, I realized to seek out someone helpless and to lift their egos by stepping on someone else's. Sad but so true.

I was on my way to the business lounge but decided to stay with my new found friends. I learned later that their son had travelled to Hawaii 10 years ago and had never returned again to the Philippines. Mang Eleuterio was concerned that he might not be able to recognize him when they arrive in Hawaii. I advised that after exiting the airport, it was best not to go looking for him since for sure he'd be able to recognize them. He proudly related that the two sons who waited for their arrival in Hawaii would call often, excited for the parents to join them.

Salome also shared her story - that she was also a first time traveller when they migrated to Canada 33 years ago. Her husband had gone ahead with three of their older children and she travelled with the two younger ones age 2 and 4. She shared how hard it was back then, adding the insensitivity of some people who had requested for them to bring stuff for friends and relatives in Vancouver. She ended up juggling two young children and huge boxes on the way out of the airport. Since then, she shrugged, she has refused those 'padalas' even if it meant she seemed snobbish.

We boarded the plane separately but Salome volunteered to make sure Aling Conching and Mang Eleuterio found their seats with no problem. She patientlt briefed them also that they should ask the stewardesses for anything if they needed help or if they were hungry.

When we disembarked in Narita for the stopover, I decided to wait for my three new friends. Salome exited with the elderly couple and I knew she had waited for them also to deplane at the same time. Deep inside I realized that she, like myself, had decided to take this couple as her wards.

As we were lining up for another security check, Salome told me she still had to get her boarding pass from Air Canada - her carrier from Narita. I volunteered to take care of the couple. We inquired about their departure gate and I realized that theirs were in another building. I accompanied them on the shuttle train to the D99 gate and on the way reminded them that they could buy their snacks in any of the outlets while waiting for their flight which was still about another 4 hours of wait. I asked if they had money with them. Aling Conching said she still had 200 in Philippines pesos with her. They had no other currency on them. My heart sank. I couldn't give them money - that might insult them and I also only had enough to cover my $60 cab fare from JFK to my apartment.

There were already a lot of people waiting at D99 gate when we arrived and I looked around, scanning the crowd. I found three elderly women seated together and approached them with my wards in tow. I asked if they were Filipinos and they confirmed. I then introduced myself and the couple and told them that Aling Conching and Mang Eleuterio were first time travellers and I wanted to leave them with someone who would 'take care' of them until they reached their destination. The women were very accomodating and they asked where the couple were from. After Mang Eleuterio said Cagayan, one of the women asked where in the Ilocano dialect. Then they asked for the couple's last name and after, one of the women laughed - they were related. And I was relieved. This was a blessing - I felt comforted that I was leaving them with people who would be able to converse with them in their dialect and who were more or less seasoned travellers, also headed for Kona.

I said my goodbye and Aling Conching took my hand and clasped it close to her heart and said thanks in her dialect. Mang Eleuterio gave me a fatherly embrace and wished me goodluck after saying goodbye. Realizing they had no cash, I took out four of the 'Supermelt" ensaymada I planned to bring to Renee and Wally in New York and left these with Mang Eleuterio. He refused initially but when I reminded him that it wouldn't be another 4 hours until their flight departs and they were bound to get hungry, he took it with more thanks. And then we said goodbye finally.

I got onto the shuttle train and returned to my building and was headed for the departure lounge when I ran into Salome again with her Air Canada boarding pass in hand. I told her the couple were going to be in the same building where her flight was to board and assured her that the couple were in good hands after relating that seems I actually reunited them with some long-lost relatives.

Salome and I said goodbye but not before she kissed me and told me about her first-born son. She told me that he was now 42 and has had 3 divorces and seems cannot find the right woman. "You should get in touch," she said, "so you can get to know each other". I smiled and giggled and told her that was the last thing I needed at the moment since romantically seems I am confused enough as it is.

It was a good day. I sat at the business lounge and listened to the music in my ipod thinking about my new-found friends. I'd probably not hear from them again but I wonder how their lives would be upon reaching their destinations - Mang Eleuterio and Aling Conching reuniting with their two children in Kona and Salome telling her son about this woman she had met on the flight who would be perfect for him but wouldn't give her phone number.

C'est la vie.

Popular Posts