Weehawken/West New York

View of Manhattan from West New York side of Blvd. East.

On a perfect weekend day, I took the bus from 42nd Street with Desiree and we headed for the stretch of Weehawken and West New York in New Jersey.

More than 4 years ago, Desiree used to live in West New York. I used to spend weekends with her, strolling the promenade or just enjoying the flavors of the area before she decided to stop throwing away money on rent and become a homeowner. I have always loved it here. I love that it is conveniently close to the city but still far enough. And nowhere in the world can you get such a vista.

The sweeping views of Manhattan are breathtaking and Hamilton Park lines the length of Kennedy Boulevard East (or simply Boulevard East). It is a dreamy town dotted by bench parks, fountains and playgrounds. Weekhawken and on its northern border, West New York are townships of the Hudson county and is perched on top of the New Jersey side of the Hudson River. It is located just outside the Lincoln Tunnel and is conveniently a mere 15 minutes commute to the city.

The rent is not cheap, though, almost similar to that of Manhattan's but comparatively, the floor space is about double what you would get in the city. More closet space as well for the clothes whore such as yours truly. The decision to move here has opened up many times previously as an option but still tied to a lease on the studio, I have only kept promising myself that I would seriously look into it when the time is right. And now the time is right.

What? Leave the city? What is wrong with me? Yes, I have thought about it. Friends have tried to dissuade me from my relocation decision. I assure them it is not Kansas. In my Manhattan studio sometimes it feels like I am the coed who is residing in a tiny dorm. Ergo, moving out is the equivalent of me getting a bigger, much more grown up space. I long for the living space where my bed is not actually sitting in the middle of the room when I have guests come over. I would like to have to cook at home and not have to make sure that all my clothes are moved into the closet so that it wouldn't smell like chicken teriyaki.

Do I love the city less? No way! I love Manhattan eternally and I don't think I can be infatuated with any other location as much as I have learned to love it. However, being across the river doesn't at all alienate me from it. It is actually closer to midtown than where I live right now on the Upper East Side.

It is a big move and even a major change for the city girl but something I have been contemplating for a while. There are days when I hesitate and wonder if it is a decision I would regret. I know however that the city will always be there and if things do not go well, I can always come back. For the meantime, it is something that I have to seriously think over. If I find something that suits my needs at the price that I can afford then chances are, yes, this is the year I will lose residency in the city but gain an extra room across the river.


This entry....to be continued (when the lease ends).





Picture right: Sunset reflecting on the skyscrapers of Manhattan as seen from the Weehawken side of Boulevard East.

Popular Posts