Workout Sunday

I have been complaining that my summer had been very lazy so far. Last year, I started hitting the tracks of the Reservoir even before the winter was over and quite regularly in the weekends would so 3 to 4.5 miles every weekend. And when springtime '06 came along, my friend Wally and I were at the tennis courts in Central Park at least three times as week. We were relentless that even on the hottest day of the heatwave we were hitting the courts. On top of this I was also regularly going to gym!

This year however, my body seems to have had no motivation to move. I am hardly doing anything at all but walking and at this point in my life when my metabolism is in slow motion seems the 'just walking' is not good enough.

Well, today I dragged myself out of bed at 8AM, jumped into my sweats and was immediately back to the park enjoying a lap around the Reservoir with a brief stop at the tennis courts to reserve a court for 4PM. Once started, my body was immediately familiar with the great feeling of cardio workout and another lap was an easy progression.

My intention was to run through the bridle path and then exit at 89th Street so I could grab some groceries before heading back to my apartment before the weather got too warm. Instead, I found myself heading straight for the gym and spent another 45 minutes lifting weights to firm some parts that have given way to gravity.

By the afternoon as we had planned, my friend came over my apartment and together we headed for the courts for a set of tennis. It wasn't competitive tennis but just keeping the ball at play and an excuse to hang out after.

So tonight I am sitting at home, wallowing in so much in pain and so tired death seems a relief but would you believe it - I am feeling good. Tomorrow I am packing my gear and spending lunchtime at the gym. Yeah, I love this. And then I will be lean and mean again.

I feel good.... you know that I would now....(singing).

Popular Posts