Heads Off!

I think today was a day when I would have been better off staying home and not stirring up emotions at the office. Today was my "bitch" day.

Started quite easy actually, sat on the bus and listened to my ipod music while perusing the pages of my New York mag with the Lindsay Lohan nude pics. I walked to my favorite breakfast place, picked up my bagel and my coffee and then might actually hummed a tune while the elevator chauffeured me to my high rise office floor with the view. Of course I greeted everyone a perky 'good morning' but landing at my desk my day makes a full 360 degrees when I am told that someone wasn't coming to work. Again. What's the big deal? I would again cover for her and I would get the bulk of the work that has been pending on her lap through most of last week since she was also out yesterday.

No, someone going away for a day off because they are genuinely sick or has an emergency is fine with me. I certainly won't raise hell about it. File a vacation and I will wish you bon voyage. But I do not appreciate it when in the past 4 years I have been working with this person she would stage these sick days when she has a big task on hand that she doesn't know how to manage it. Time and again the cyclic sickness tragedy would befall her right when she is made responsible for something important and I am left out in the rain to wrap up and finish whatever is yet undone.

The most outrageous and insane part about it is that there is nothing management can do about the situation but tolerate her. I often feel like the sucker who ends up doing more work simply because I value my 'work ethics'. Pooh.

Today I barked at everyone and everyone literally recoiled out of my way fearing for their life. My sing-song voice went AWOL. Nope, neither was today a usual giggle day. Struggling to finish my own work and trying to meet deadlines to stage the big meeting she was suppose to finish I swear I spew fire at everyone everytime I opened my mouth. My girlfriends likewise stayed away, tip-toeing around me even without knowing what was going on.

Over lunch though, I was able to share my frustration and talking about it may have made me feel better. Later in the afternoon when a consultant stopped by my desk to make small talk I confessed that it wasn't one of my best days and he admitted he was also having a rough week. No, actually he said most everyone he knew were having a bad one and that we might have the lunar eclipse tonight to blame (yeah right, blame it on the moon). He made me laugh though when he said that he had been feeling so horrendous that while he was sitting in the long meeting this afternoon he tried to end his life by slicing his wrist with a real bad paper cut.

So if you were around our office today or somewhere close to East 42nd Street and came across people walking around without heads then they must have just come by to see me. I had been biting everyone's head off for every stupid remark or question brought to my attention today.

Maybe tomorrow is a better day. Or I will call in sick.

Popular Posts