White

A lot of snow have been promised to New Yorkers the past months but we have not seen much. As a matter of fact through most of January we absolutely had no snow - the first time in 75 years! Not a snowflake and thus have been much snow-deprived.

Last night, weather forecasters talked of winter weather warnings. Like me, I am sure many just shrugged and thought it would be another false cause for well, excitement. But this morning when I pulled up the blinds in my room, voila! It was a winter wonderland! Snow continued to fall steadily. Very dainty, the snow fell in an almost graceful way, it made the whole view outside my window look like a dream.

But how quickly snow is cleared out in this city. Snowplows hit the road as soon as the accumulations reach 2 inches. The sidewalks was quickly salted and shoveled to protect the many pedestrians who take to the road daily. This is, afterall, the city where everyone walks.

So on the way to the bus stop, when I realized the sidewalk shovelers have not touched the other sideof the street yet, I crossed and playfully baptized the fresh fallen snow, crushing it beneath underfoot. And for the block and a half walk, my color and my sleeves were dusted with more white.
Looking out the window into the city from my office, I couldn't help but adore the breathtaking view. It was like sitting in this giant snow globe surrounded by by dancing snowflakes, twirling in the wind.
A snowglobe without the shaking.

Popular Posts