Adieu, Farewell and Arrivederci to Summer

This is one of the last weekends of summer (autumn officially begins Sept. 22) and it turned out to be a perfect one. The past week had been a wash-out, remnants of mega-hurricane Frances had soaked the city on Tuesday and creating its own version of an urban nightmare. The buses were bottlenecked on all the intersections of the East Side, my friend Matthew called to let me know so I decided to take the train. It usually takes me about 10 minutes on the subway to get to work but when portions of the 4 and 5 track below 42nd Street got flooded the trains had to use the same tracks as the 6 train and it my trip stretched to 30 minutes.

Grand Central's platforms were being soaked from leaking ceilings. It gets worse as you go up to the turnstiles where it is flooded and about 15 buckets are strategically placed to catch the downpour from the ceiling. I had worn close-toe summer heels and they were soaked so badly it make swishing sounds when I walked. I got the office late but still earlier than everyone who had to drive into the city, ending up more than doubling their travel time as well. Soon as I got to my desk, I took out the alcohol and rubbed some on my legs and feet. Ew!

Wednesday was dreary as well but not as bad as the previous day and as the weekend came closer, the weather got better. The mornings and evenings had become cool, less humid, averaging in the upper 60's. Sunset has also started to get earlier, darkness installed at 730PM.
The trees in Central Park and around the city are still green but slowly and surely, autumn is on its way.

The displays at the stores are now showcasing fall fashion - boots, ponchos, jackets and less of the pastels, though Loft is still in the pink and gray mode. Although these are still relatively humid weather for Manhattan I am amazed to see women in the subway wearing their boots already. I'm sure they missed their shoes but should enthusiasm be an excuse for comfort? I am baffled what if they have feet that sweat in the heat of all those suede or leather. I am back to my slingbacks but I will still go back to my slides if weather.com can guarantee no preciptation for the day - I really hate it when my feet gets wet.

I don't really abhor autumn. The love the way the air gets crisp and comfortable, when it melts the sticky humidity of summer. Fashion wise, it is always great to returns to the less pastel hues because it has been proven to create an illusion that you are a few pounds less. And the jackets make great cover-ups for the extra flabs on the sides, too! I always say and rejoice about the fact that when the cold weather sets in, the chubby/non-size 0's are in fashion again.

It seems from this point onwards the days go by on high speed soon it is time to take down the calendar for a new one.

I would embrace the summer and not let go if I could. Despite the sweat it makes me break into and the balminess of a humid day, I still find it to be my favorite season of all. Probably more if I could find myself near a beach to walk the sand or play on the water. But I like the way the bright days seem to lift my moods almost automatically. When a walk in the park instantly vanishes your worries.

Autumn is about reds, browns, yellows and golds as the foliage colors change and then fall to the ground. It is about driving upstate for apple picking picnics. It is about preparing for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and my favorite of all, Christmas. This is going to be my third autumn in New York as a resident. I will look forward to a stroll at Central Park as the trees start to shed its leaves. I will look forward to the grand Halloween Parade at the Village where everyone is a child again. I will then travel to San Francisco to spend Thanksgiving with relatives and then get ready to go home for Christmas.

Arrivederci summer, but not yet.

Popular Posts