Meeting Josh

The trip had been planned weeks in advance. I had booked my flight but haven't had the chance to build the excitement with so much going on with work and play. It seemed that the days were moving fast and before I knew it, it was Labor Day weekend and I was ready to travel to Ohio to meet Josh.

Plan was to meet up with Remy and Judith in Columbus for our annual get-together. Last year we met up in Ft. Lauderdale and prior to that, in DC and Manhattan. This year, Judith was hosting us. As early as Thursday however, it became obvious that mega-hurricane Frances was going to hit Florida and wasn't allowing Remy to fly out at all, unless she could book herself a broom in time c",). By lunchtime Thursday, Remy had called me up to let me know that airports were closed and that they had been sent home to secure their homes with shutters and to prepare for the worst.

I pushed through with my plans. I left my Manhattan apartment and had the ever reliable Super Shuttle bring me to La Guardia. Door to door, I was there in 10 minutes and it didn't cost too much either ($15 + tip) compared to a cab ($25) or the airport bus ($13 but I have to get it from Grand Central which means I have to get into the subway with my luggage).

Airport was filled with delegates from the recently concluded Republican convention held at the Madison Square Garden for the week. They had their placards, their hats and their luggage bragged their political affinity. I sat amongst them at the airport's lounge as I devoured my slice of Sbarro cheese pizza.

The Delta jet was small. It is a 1+2 seater, meaning the single aisle has one seat to the right and two seats to the right. I knew it was going to be a short flight but a dinner party the night before at Union Square area with my friends from work for Renee had me in bed quite late. I also had to wake early to get a fresh cheesecake from Junior's at Grand Central. Unbelievable as it may seem, it was tired even before I had gotten started on my day. I dozed off soon after take off and woke in time for the landing.

I looked out the cabin's window and viewed the vast green vista we were approaching that was Ohio. The sun was bright and it promised to be a perfectly mild weekend.

It was Kevin, Judith's husband who got me from the airport to bring me home. While driving he told me about Columbus and about the places we were passing on the way to Dublin where their home was. As we drove through Easton he mentioned that Arnold Schwarzenegger would hold his annual bodybuilding and fitness celebrations there.

The drive was pleasant and as we turned toward the residential areas I noticed a big Taco Bell and mentioned that I had been craving for a Taco Bell only to find out the one near my apartment had closed and was now another deli. On Saturday night, Kevin made tacos at home and hey, it's even better than TB! We passed through quiet streets lined with family-size homes with front yards and porches, we reached a cul d'sac and pulled into their driveway.

Finally walked into the house and found 5 week old Joshua in his mom's arms. What a cute baby! So lovable!



I wasn't tired anymore, forgot about the headache from lack of sleep, and was just going to enjoy the long weekend in the company of this loveable little person and friends.

Popular Posts