Buhay NuYok

Monday: My friend, who goes by the pseudonym YlangYlang lent me the password to her account in a popular personals site. She and I have had lengthy conversations about her adventures online and since she hardly uses the account anymore, she invited me to 'browse' and enjoy.

The previous weekend had been a busy one. I had scheduled myself to attend to the inevitable this Monday evening: CONFRONT THE LAUNDRY!!!

Soon as I logged on, however, I was hooked. I browsed and was entertained for hours. Funny, though, I found more of the guys who advertised under 'Men Looking for Men' more interesting. And believe me, it is so unfair to womankind that the smartest, the most fit, the more intelligent and more perfect men are gay. You don't believe me? Try getting caught in the midst of New York's Annual Gay Parade and you will see what I mean.

Almost midnight with David Letterman blabbering his Top 10 List, I am still online and emailing my favorite gay friend, JC in the West Coast with curses about why women are left to 'scraping the bottom of the bucket' when it comes to choices because we are left with the gay-rejects. And then those who claim to be straight end up advertising as bi-curious, seeking adventures beyond the normal.

My laundry will have to wait for tomorrow.

Tuesday: I emailed 6 of our friends and try to organize a surprise lunch or dinner for Ludette who would be having her birthday on Saturday, the 31st. Everyone emails me back with the best time for them and many concede it would have to be over lunch. And we wanted to be sure it would be before Friday when Des leaves for LA.

At lunch after Ludette hurries off to return to her office, Cedric makes the firm decision that the surprise party for Ludette would have to be over dinner since lunch was just too impossible to enjoy with everyone trying to make it back to their desks. We agree. Kristine also suggests that lest we be the surprised ones to realize the celebrant has made plans, better inform Ludette also of the dinner.

I watched the Democratic convention coverage and was captivated by this senate seat contender from Illinois whose name is Barak Obama. He has the charisma of JFK and the eloquence of Bill Clinton. I found myself cheering the newbie with a 'YES!' when I am not even a voter in this country.

Laundry still undone. Ho-hum....

Wednesday: The non-surprise pre-birthday celebration was for dinner tonight. After the usual delays, we were finally on our way to the El Quijote, a Spanish restaurant Ludette picked herself, on 23rd between 7th and 8th Avenue. I had paella marinara and it was great. The serving was much too big too, so that despite the fact I had shared the portion with Cedric and Jorge, there was still a lot of left-over in the end.

We laughed so hard that Paola and I both suffered from headaches. My group, which in Tagalog would be my barkada are all crazy when we get together. I had brought along of course my camera and we had great pictures of the get-together. We often made Cedric and Jorge as the butt of our jokes.
On the way back to the east side of town, this building came into view. It was pink and it was beautiful.


When I got home, the laundry greeted me...still undone. ALso got the chance to catch the tail end of the Democratic convention. Teresa Heinz Kerry worked with the United Nations prior to marrying the catsup millionaire.

Thursday: Met up with my aunt after work and had Filipino dinner at Krystal's on 1st Avenue and 14th Street. She wanted to have the pancit but I told her she should try the tapsilog (Tapa which is marinated beef served with fried rice and 2 fried eggs). Also had Sarsi. Still wanted to have dessert (choices: biko, banana fritter, meringue or halohalo) but was too full. Where else can you be this Filipino and be so far away from the Philippines?

Got home, watched Kerry on C-Span (yup, I am that NERDY) and then talked to a friend on the phone for an hour trying to figure out why we weren't spending Friday together.

Friday: Someone treated for brunch at work today. At 10AM, donuts, bagels, cream cheese, coffee and orange juice overflowed at the conference room. I was planning to skip lunch but since we headed off to one of my favorite lunch places in Manhattan, I couldn't help it but had something light instead. On the way back to work, we decided to get ice cream and ended up not being able to finish it which officemates Peter and Waly try to help me with and still not succeed. At 4:30 PM, instead of the customary Friday wine and cheese, Peter goes out and gets beer and pizza.

I go home to try to escape the humidity. Checked the basement and no one was doing their laundry. I had to do this NOW!

Went online and caught some friends on YM. John, in his usual mental state messed up the otherwise regular YM conference with his jabs. Vergel and Kiko and I were helpless so just decided to join him in creating a most crazy session online.

Eventually had to quit though because Joel was on his way to my apartment to get the keys to his apartment from me.

Great day but most unbelievable of all: two week's worth of laundry had been washed and ironed. Whew! Now if only I can keep the hamper empty...then I would stink of course...

Saturday: Ludette's birthday and we will be at the Tavern on the Green on the West Side for some dancing.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUDETTE!!!!!

Popular Posts