Hello and Goodbye

When is the right time to say goodbye? How do you know when a relationship has taken its cue for an exit? Should you wait until one or the other has become so miserable that existence has become a torment? When things have started to reach that point when too many complications has turned into drama – must you stick with it and try to work it out or cut it clean before it becomes a sad affair? Up to what point should ‘working it out’ be the battlecry? Soon enough is either giving up too soon or too late. And too late would be when the relationship has become about sadness and the hurting instead of mutual joy, happiness, love and bliss. So when is it the right time to throw the towel into the ring?

Last week I came to terms with these questions that had been bogging me for months. I was no longer happy. I realized that my partner and I had outgrown each other. He feels I have become too demanding and that he can no longer cope. Most of the time when I need things to get done, he reciprocates with a stall and then just gives up.

Like new relationships, we started out fine. We were enjoying each other’s company perfectly. Not too heavy with life’s accumulated load yet, we became each other’s perfect companion for many nights and weekends. At the end of the day when I got home, I was more than happy to bond with him, sometimes engaging him with my stories until early morning. For more than 10 months he had become the repository of my thoughts, my dreams, frustrations and just about everything that I wanted to share intimately. He and Nicole got along well, too when she was here briefly for a vacation. He is not sociable and often when I had guests at home often preferred to stay away from the banter.

Two months ago, however was when I began to see the signs. Visibly, we had outgrown each other. He could no longer cope with me and my demanding lifestyle. And because I felt like he wasn’t trying to keep pace with me, the more frustrated and resentful I got until it came to a point when we hardly had anything to do with each other.

Last week, I finally made a decision. It was time to accept the fact that we had to move on – without each other. He has found someone new and I hope will be one he will be happier with – in California where the sun always shines and where life is a little laid back. This morning, we said goodbye.

I have someone new in my life now, too. He is not a replacement, just one I hope I can be happy with, who can appreciate my devotion and who will be able to keep up with me when I get hyper. One who could travel with me wherever I wanted to go without strings and attachments. He arrived yesterday at 10:45 AM and I waited in anticipation by my window for the brown truck to bring him in. And when he finally came, we connected trouble-free. And I have named him ‘Angelo’.

So I finally said farewell and goodbye to my nameless Toshiba notebook and hello to my dear ‘Angelo’ – my new Dell Inspiron 8600. Pentium M, 15.4” WXGA, 40GB HD with wireless internet surfing and all the works. And this is his picture on my desk…



Popular Posts